Rheumatology covers a spectrum of diseases that impacts not only on musculoskeletal functioning but may result in major organ dysfunction and premature mortality. Rheumatic diseases account for a considerable burden on individual patients, their families and society at large. SARAA aims to provide support and guidance to reduce the impact of rheumatic diseases by promoting teaching, training and research in the field of rheumatology.
Excellence in rheumatology research has generated numerous innovative therapies that have transformed the lives of many patients. These so called biologic drugs are expensive and inaccessible to many patients. Less expensive yet effective therapies are available if introduced early.
Key objectives are to:
- Facilitate early diagnosis and management of rheumatic diseases.
- Promote teaching and training.
- Review and establish guidelines in the management of rheumatic diseases.
- Bi-annual congress 2017 to reach out to a diverse audience broadening our network.
- Foster locally relevant research inclusive of ongoing projects such as the biologics registry.
The South African Rheumatism and Arthritis Association will strive to empower patients and physicians, continuing our role as advocates for our patients and members moving towards better health for all.