Biologicals: Infliximab and Etanercept
Indications for the use of Infliximab / Enbrel Scientific evidence supports the use of these drugs in Rheumatoid Arthritis, Seronegative spondyloarthropathy, including Ankylosing Spondylitis, Psoriatic Arthritis and Juvenile Chronic Arthritis, particularly where other therapies have failed. They should only be used by Rheumatologists and in patients who fulfill the following modified international criteria: (Based on the Working Party for the British Society of Rheumatology April 2000)
- Patients must fulfill the ACR criteria for the diagnosis of these conditions
Patients must have active disease as indicated by the following
- Six or more swollen and tender joints
- Elevated CRP above the normal for that laboratory.
- Signs of active disease should be present at two visits at least one month apart.
- Failure or intolerance of Standard Disease Modifying Antirheumatic Drugs (DMARDs)